Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by


























Educational Settings

Printable PDF version of this page.

Interpreting in educational settings can be a vital part of making the classroom experience accessible for Deaf, hard of hearing, Deaf Blind, and late-deafened students. Sign language interpreting, tactile or close-vision interpreting, and oral transliteration are each appropriate in specific situations. In elementary, middle, and high schools, in colleges, universities, and technical schools, qualified interpreters provide services allowing the student, their teachers and classmates to fully participate in educational programs.

Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deaf Blind, and Late-Deafened Students:

From elementary school through college, if an interpreter is needed for full communication access, it is important that the interpreter is qualified. When you are planning to take classes at night school, signing up for a technical course at the community college, or for your child’s educational experience, a qualified educational interpreter has training and experience specific to these settings. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act – the ADA – a qualified interpreter is “an interpreter who is able to interpret effectively, accurately, and impartially both receptively and expressively, using any specialized vocabulary necessary for effective communication.”
See ADA Part 36.104 for this definition.

You have the right to communication access in educational settings.  If you need a qualified interpreter, please give our contact information to the person in charge of communication access.

For more information about your rights to qualified interpreters in educational settings, visit the ADA Home page or the National Association of the Deaf website.
You can also visit the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) site to read the Standard Practice Paper on Educational Interpreting.

School Administrators, Special Needs Directors, and other education professionals:

To serve your Deaf, hard of hearing, Deaf Blind, and late-deafened students, your may need interpreters for full communication access. Many schools and school systems have full- or part-time professional interpreters on staff. In these cases, you may need additional substitute interpreters from time to time. Working with an experienced interpreting services provider to obtain substitute or long-term  interpreting services on an as-needed basis can help to make your continuing interpreter coverage a reasonable task. In all educational settings, from elementary schools through post graduate work, it is critical that the educational interpreter is qualified for the job. Your state may have specific policies defining “qualified interpreter”, and the Americans with Disabilities Act – the ADA - defines “qualified interpreter”.  You expect excellence from your teachers, specialists, faculty, and administration, so make sure the quality of their instruction and support comes through for your students.

When you need an interpreter for full communication access to the educational process, always work with qualified interpreters.

For more information on educational interpreting;
See the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Standard Practice Paper, Educational Interpreting.




Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!